Friday, October 11, 2013

Feature Friday: Valerie from Stuck in Books


Welcome to this week's Friday Feature. Today I have Valerie from Stuck in Books with me. Her blog is a great place to go if you're looking for something new to read.


Please help me welcome Valerie.

Cherie: How did you get started in blogging about books?
Valerie: It came from a book vacation I had after completing my Master degree.  I read 75 books that summer.  My Masters is in Instructional Technology and I turned to something techy to share that excitement about books.  My blog was born.

Cherie: How did you come up with the name for your blog?
Valerie: The summer I read 75 books, my husband kept teasing me that I was stuck in a book AGAIN.  It’s still a joke around these parts.  But the name came easily from that.

Cherie: Wow! 75 books that’s amazing! And a great story for how you came up with the name of your blog. What’s your favorite part about blogging?
Valerie: The community of bloggers and writers that I have become a part of is by far the best part of blogging.  I, also, love it when I recommend a book to someone and they enjoy it.  Makes me happy.

Cherie: Do you have any pet peeves that make you want to put down the book your reading?
Valerie: YES. And I’ve seen it way too much just lately.  Authors can’t make characters do things that are out of their character.  It creates this disconnect that makes me realize they aren’t real.  I roll my eyes.  I make annoyed noises.  I mumble at them.  If it happens too much, the book gets shut.

Cherie: That’s one of my pet peeves too. I’m glad it’s not just me. What type of books do you enjoy?
Valerie: My tastes have changed over the years but my first love was fantasy.  That has morphed into urban fantasy, which is still a favorite.  I love so see some romance in there too.  I’ve been on a new adult kick for a while.  I used to read mysteries and thrillers but not so much any more.

Cherie: If you start a book that isn’t grabbing your attention, how far into the book will you read before you put it down?
Valerie: 50 pages

Cherie: Who’s your favorite book mom?
Valerie: Professor McGonagall – she is too a book mom.

Cherie: Who’s your favorite  book dad?
Valerie: Professor Dumbledore

Cherie: Secret crush? (It can be anyone real or fictional.)
Valerie: Adien from The Covenant Series by Jennifer L Armentrout and Daemon from The Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout

Cherie: Do you believe in love at first sight?
Valerie: I believe in Lust at first sight that turns to Love

Cherie: Have you ever experienced that head-over-heels, tingly, have-to-get-to-know-someone feeling yourself?
Valerie: Yeah, in high school.  He didn’t feel the same way though.

Cherie: Are you drawn to the good guy or the bad guy?
Valerie: Both – depending on the book and the guy.

Cherie: What’s the first thing you notice about a guy?
Valerie: Arms. Really! I love those muscular arms.  Dated drummers in High School and my husband rode motor cross.  Both make great arms on guys.

Cherie: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, or retellings?
Valerie: I’m okay with similar.  It all depends on the characters and how well they are developed.

Cherie: Do you like when your favorite books are made into movies, and why?
Valerie: Yes and no.  I love the attention it gets the books.  I love dreaming about who would make the best actor for each character but it never can touch a candle to my imagination. 

Cherie: If you had all the money and time in the world, where would your dream vacation be?
Valerie: Hawaii with my whole family

Cherie: Are you a morning person or an evening person?
Valerie: NIGHT all the way.

Cherie: Favorite author?
Valerie: Jennifer L Armentrout

Cherie: Favorite place to read?
Valerie: Snuggle chair in my office.

Cherie: Favorite classic?
Valerie: Harry Potter series.

Cherie: What book are you the most excited to read?
Valerie: Right now?  Sentinel by Jennifer L Armentrout.

Cherie: Are there any types of books you don’t read?
Valerie: Not really a horror or zombie kinda girl.

Cherie: Do you have any hobbies?
Valerie: Reading and blogging are my hobbies.  I love techy stuff too.

Cherie: What book would make a great movie?
Valerie: I really like the idea of urban fantasy books becoming movies the best.  I’d love to see M.R. Merrick’s The Protector series become a movie.

Cherie: What’s the worst cover to a book that you loved?
Valerie: Hmmm…this one is hard.  Covers have got to the point where they are really good all the time.  I think The Valentine Challenge by Marisa Cleveland had a pretty cheesy cover but I really enjoyed the story.

Cherie: It’s your birthday, and your friends got you a giant cake. What character do you hope pops out of your cake and what book is he/her from?
Valerie: Oh hands down, I want Daemon Black from The Lux series to jump out of my birthday cake!

Cherie: If you could choose to be any character from a book, who would it be and why?

Valerie: I’d want to be Alex from The Covenant Series.  I love her strength, her kick-ass skills and her snarky mouth. Plus she has great taste in guys.

Thanks for stopping by.

Connect with Valerie

5 comments:

  1. Haha - I totally said "she's not a mom" on your McGonagall answer -- but yes, I'll concede your point. She IS a book mom, dammit!

    Really fun questions and really fun answers...and now I'm jonesing for a book vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that Valerie said McGonagall too. And I'd love a vacation where I could just sit and read. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete